Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Race for Life

Written on Saturday...

So, today I woke up at the crack of dawn...well, it really wasn't the crack but it was early for me.  For those of you who know me know that I like to sleep in in the morning.  I say up late...how else would I be able to get all this stuff done!  Anyway, it was light outside but it was cold...damn cold.  My plan was to go for a run.  It was the only chance I'd get in a couple of days and I had to do it or else I'd miss the opportunity.  I looked at the clock...7:00.  Ok, a few more minutes.  7:15...ok, its really cold outside.  Should I go...maybe a few more minutes.  7:20...still really cold and the sun hasn't peaked out yet.  7:23...ok, get your butt out of bed and just go.  You have to do it or else you'll be kicking yourself all day.  It's a mind decision...you just have to mentally make the decision and do it.  I got dressed, put my music on and hit the cold cold weather outside.  Brrrrr...damn it was cold!  Probably about 28 degrees outside.  I passed a few sheets of ice on the sidewalk, realizing it was actually ice when I slipped in it.  It took all my will to not turn around and get back into the warm bed I awoke from.  But I did it, if only for 30 minutes, I did it, for my G for myself, for all those children fighting cancer.  They have to wake up every day facing the fact that they are fighting cancer.  It wasn't going to kill me to get up early and run...because I could.

Here's my motivation:  I just entered the Big Sur International Marathon and I'm running it for a local charity called  Lazarex Cancer Foundation.  It's a local organization out of the bay area which "supports all end stage cancer patients (children and adults) and the cancer community by providing assistance with cost for clinical trial participation, navigation through clinical trial options, and community outreach and education".   My new favorite friend and comrade, Angela, convinced me to sign up and as a fellow cancer mom, I know we can do anything we set our minds to.  I know, I know; I should be resting a little and relaxing.  And I did, for a couple of days.  But there is too much ground to cover...too much to do in the world of fighting childhood cancer and I must stay strong.  I must stay in the game physically and mentally.
I'll be sending emails out for collecting donations in my run against cancer.  If you want to help me kick some cancer ass, click on this site.  Every training run will be dedicated to a child with cancer I've met on the way.  My first run being dedicated to Alex McCrone currently battling rhabdomyosarcoma.

Below is information for Alex.


Dear Friends, 

Alex and his family need our help right now.  They haven't asked for it but we aren't taking "no" for an answer.  Alex had a relapse in October and now the tumor is mutating.  With a 2 year old to care for and a baby due in a few weeks, this family has a lot going on.  

Here are some ways to help: 

1) We are setting up a housecleaning service for the family once a week.  If you would like to donate, email angelafarley007@yahoo.com

2) Below is a link to sign up for meals.
http://supportplanner.caringbridge.org/planners/alexmc2/views/monthly

The family lives in Salinas.  If you live out of town and would like to have a meal delivered from one of the local restaurants, visit this site:
https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=restaurants+near+1858+Hudson+Way,+Salinas+CA+93906&fb=1&gl=us&hq=restaurants&hnear=0x808dff42169eb441:0x412875f5177f6ceb,1858+Hudson+Way,+Salinas,+CA+93906&ei=m9L1UJ6WCsWJiwLRo4GwBQ&ved=0CKsBELYD

3) We will be making a couple of trips to Costco for food so if you would like to donate Costco cards, we will gladly accept.  

4) Gas cards are always appreciated and can be sent to Jacob's Heart on behalf of the family.  

Please contact Judit at ajsedillos@gmail.com, Angela at angelafarley007@yahoo.com, Kristin at krisycos1@gmail.com.  

Thank you for your unwavering support for these families and children with cancer.  A little can go a long way.  Let's help Alex beat this beast!!! 


This past week, we got the green flag (via G's last lab results) to visit Nana and Papa in England...it's really Lincoln but I love that G calls it England.  What a great, relaxing, motivating, fantastic trip!  I am very much looking forward to the trips we will be taking this coming year!  Plus, there's nothing like mom's house and having her meatloaf ;-).  Thanks mom.
Adam and I got to sneak off to the mountains while Gabriella and Bridget were safe and cozy with Nana and Papa.  Even though the temperature in the mountains registered 14 degrees, it was absolutely phenomenal!  And do you know what I smelt all day...sweetness in the air.  Adam and I played on the slopes, cruised through the freshly fallen powder and basked in the moments when the sun shined through the clouds.  The day was perfect.  It's kind of like eating a hamburger after coming out of the mountains from a long packing trip or sleeping in a warm bed after camping on the ground for a week.  I don't know...maybe I just appreciate the little things so much more or I'm just loving that we are all living life, or that my G is almost done with her treatments and I can picture all of us skiing together very soon...all of it made my heart sing.  I know both of us missed our girls tremendously.  It's so hard to leave them and I know it's especially hard on Adam.  Probably because he works more and I'm home with the girls more.  Every time we saw a little tiny person in a ski suit, I just couldn't wait for those little people to be my girls...and they will be...very soon.

On the way home, Adam and I shared an incredible site.  The sun was setting and there were big fluffy clouds in the sky.  The colors of the gray clouds were outlined with an orange-rose tint as the sun was setting in the background.  Snow covered trees filled the horizon and we were surrounded by a vast forest covered in a white blanket of snow.  Yet another sign of hope.


This Thursday will be chemo #13.  Three weeks after that will be chemo #14...our final chemo.  In between rest moments, we've been planning the path for our girls to head back to some normalicy with school, swim classes, art, ballet, gymnastics (but not all at once of course).  We will never be completely "done" with cancer.  There will be scans, follow ups, and the worries that will be hard to shake but we will be finished with the toughest part and for that, I am ecstatic.  As for fighting pediatric cancer, there is still so much work to be done and plans are already being made to continue the fight.



Forever grateful,
Kristin
A little play time at school.

G with her favorite Uncle Ronnie.

Bridget getting her first pedicure back in December. 

G, my superstar with her beautiful necklace from Auntie Steph.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! So happy for you guys...I have tears in my eyes thinking about your day on the slopes! You (literally) can see the light. You're almost there! Big hugs to you all!!

    ReplyDelete