Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thank you Firefighters!

This morning was spent getting up, getting going with our coconut and coffee and making our way to the hospital.  G had her meeting today for her weekly vincristine.  It's been a couple of weeks since she's had chemo due to the surgery being scheduled.  Since our delay, the doctors wanted to get another dose of chemo in her while we waited for surgery.  We brought our cookies and passed them out to secretaries, medical assistance, nurses, doctors and a couple of other patients.  Everyone was so grateful for the special treat G had made.  It's amazing what little joy comes from giving something fun and colorful on both sides.
G and I were in and out in an hour, thanks to the speed pod and got to go have a little lunch.  She was hooked on watching her latest movie "UP" since it was playing on the TV in the waiting room and we were able to pull it up on YouTube.
After lunch, we made our way back home.  G was getting a little sleepy in the car and was able to fall asleep before we hit 17.  For those who know highway 17, you know how easy it is to get nauseated driving over it.  The road with its twists and turns is not a pleasant one especially if you are in the back seat.  Its the one place Gabriella often gets nauseated with our drive back and forth to Stanford.  Add chemotherapy and surgery drugs to the mix and you have a mess on your hands.

I was doing my best to drive slowly and carefully.  It helped this morning but after pizza and lemonade, she woke up right out of her sleep and gave me the moan with her hand covering her mouth.  Before I even got a chance to look for a safe spot to pull over or safely grab a barf bag from behind the seat, she had thrown up all over.  I was still scanning for a place to pull over and saw the sign for Redwood Estates.  Whew, Adam's old fire station.  Gabriella threw up a couple more times before we pulled in to the parking lot at the firehouse.  There was throw up her hair (what little she has), arms, car seat, seatbelt and now on me.  I didn't really care, I just wanted to get her out of the car and the throw up off her.   After pulling of her jacket and dress only to leave her in her capri's, one of the firefighters came out.  I asked if we could use the bathroom and told him I was Adam's wife.  He showed me where it was so I could take G in and wash her off.  When we came out, they all asked what we needed and I asked for a towel.  Shawn and Mike went to grab some along with the all-purpose spray while Chip got G some water.  I was fully prepared to clean the car out myself but they were already out there getting all the throw up off the seatbelt, car seat and the seat.   Needless to say, I was overwhelmed with appreciation and gratefulness.  I think I was almost speechless when Chip asked if I wanted her clothes washed out.  Really?  You'd do that for me... take my daughters barfy clothes and wash them out?  Wow, these guys really are amazing!  Not only did they stop what they were doing to help us, but they went above and beyond for us.  Shawn Ohara, Mike Hall, and Chip Stanton...I thank you so very much for helping us.  I won't ever forget the people who we've met along the way that have so graciously helped us and of course our friends and family for all your love and support.

On another note, Treatment Planning will be scheduled for July 30th.  This includes another CT scan under anesthesia and a mold being made for her radiation treatments.  Her three drug overnight chemo (vincristine, cyclophospamide and dactinomycin) will be scheduled for July 27th.

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming".

No comments:

Post a Comment