Sunday, April 22, 2012


Since I didn't have time to post yesterday, I'm doing it today. And by today, I mean Sunday morning...

Yesterday (Friday) was such a roller coaster of a day.  It started off pretty rough with G waking up early (after going to sleep a little late) and feeling sick.  She didn't want anything to drink or eat and was feeling nauseated.  After chemo, she has a distinct almost toxic smell of the chemo medicines and I'm sure they are making her feel awful.  We went outside so she could get some fresh air.  I watched as she laid there while Bridget attempted to comfort her by putting blankets on her and even trying to give her the Zofran for her nausea.  It was in awe of my little Bridget being so concerned about her big sis.  Finally, after a little resting in the sun, fresh air and Zofran, G started to perk up.  She drank some coconut milk and seem to enjoy it even though she swears she didn't.

Grandma and Grandpa came over and the girls started playing around.  It was almost 10...perfect.  I raced upstairs, got my workout clothes on and raced to the gym.  It was now or never.  I had the best workout I've had in a while and it felt SOOO wonderful!!!  After a couple more errands, I went home.  We watched movies most of the day...the beautiful sunny day while before we would have been playing out in the sprinklers.  Ugg.  Time to do loads of laundry, put away things from our overnight at the hospital and try to keep the house functioning (aka. clean) while in between, cuddle with G on the couch and put Bridget down for a nap.  Before dinner, I needed a cooling off break.  I threw (not literally) G into the car and we drove about 400 yards to Auntie Mel and Uncle Ronnie's house.  G and I swam in their wonderfully warm pool and enjoyed the beautiful weather for about 30 minutes.  It was perfect.  Besides my workout, it was my favorite part of the day.  By the smile on G's face, it seemed like the best part of her day too!

When we got back, the little teeny-tiny catheter on her arm to give her Neupogen instead of a shot had gotten wet.  We thought this might help...anything to help us these days and now that we are starting the round of 3 chemo's, we need to start the Neupogen shots again.  The bandage got a little wet so I thought I'd "real quickly" change the bandage before it fell off.  Well, 1/2 an hour later, I was under the kitchen table still trying to convince her that it wouldn't hurt unless she moved.  We managed to get a new bandage on but the catheter tip came out a bit but I was able to push it back in.  Whew, that was close!  When we used it the night before, we were so excited about how "painless" it was.  Tonight, I didn't have my rock, Adam with me.  I was alone so she had to stay still.  She was very upset with me after and ran into the garage screaming.  After another half hour of her screaming, I finally lost it.  I just started to cry and tell her how sorry I was that she had to go through this.  I told her over and over how much I loved her and that I didn't want to hurt her.  I just sat on the garage floor crying.  She finally came over to me and I held her while we both cried.  At that point, she understood that this was hard on us too.  The rest of the evening was great.  I took longer to recover than G did but that's to be expected.

I also was working on a wedding cake for Saturday.  Adam and I decided through this journey that we both didn't want to wait around for G to get sick.  Life goes on and we still want to do the things that we enjoy.  Its good for us and great for the girls to see that life just can't stop.  We just have to adjust for the doctor's visits, chemo, radiation, etc. but continue with our lives as well.  So, Lindsay made the cake and buttercream's and I did my thing!  It felt really wonderful to create something beautiful again.  It was tiring but I always said to myself, "If I can be pregnant with a toddler, I can do anything" because that was hard!  Now I say, "If I can get through my little girl having cancer, I can do anything!".  I'll sleep when I'm dead!

Saturday was spent coordinating tattoos (yes, tattoos will be the next post), dropping off the wedding cake and playing with the girls of course.  Our usual busy weekend.  We have to do our best to keep an eye on G and make sure to bring her in when she needs to rest.  She was having such a great time playing with the neighbors and Lauren on her 4th birthday that it was hard to pull her away.  It was so nice to see her enjoying herself.  We actually started to make lemonade for a lemonade stand in honor of "Alex's Lemonade Stand" but the kids were interested for about 20 minutes then off to the next activity.  We will do it soon.

Adam got his tattoo first while Ronnie and I delivered the cake.  It took him about 2.5 hours and it looked amazing after!  The cake delivery was stressful as usual but it turned out beautiful!  Ronnie was next for the tattoo.  His took about the same amount of time.  After a quick bite for dinner, I was next.  Grandma and Grandpa stayed with the girls and took care of the house while we were out running around.  It was a long day to say the least but the final products were amazing!  Thanks to Kevin, our tattoo artist.

Ok, I will post more tonight about the tattoos with pictures!!!  For now, I've got to get breakfast going!

1 comment:

  1. Michael has been doing "Alex's Lemonade Stands" for the past couple of years with friends at school - he loves it! I see Bridget as our next nurse in the family! SO adorable and incredibly sweet! Thinking of G always!