We met with Dr. Marina and Dr. Aftandilian for over 2 hours to discuss the course of treatment for G.
...I'm having a tough time writing this...
Still trying to process all of the information.
Its still a favorable outcome because of the location of the tumor. Dr. Marina said we can cure this with minimal risk.
The doctors want to be aggressive with the least amount of side effects and this will be done with 42 weeks of chemotherapy. They called it "intermediate dose chemo". Its a combination of three chemo meds that she will get either every week or every three weeks. We will stay in the hospital for 24 hours for one of the treatments because of the nausea that ensues. The total nights being 14. Things can always change but its a start. Dr. Marina also talked discussed with us the different side effects of the drugs and said at the end of this, we will know so much more than we ever wanted to about all of this.
We will meet with the radiologist on Monday to talk about when they will start radiation. I believe it won't be for about 4 weeks but I can't remember the reason. She will talk to us about the radiation treatment possibilities and the side effects. This will include effects to her ovaries and uterus.
We also discussed surgery. They would call this a cancer operation but they want to hold off on this option due to the increase risk of morbidity (meaning making things worse). If they did perform surgery, they would have to remove the tumor and the surrounding tissue, which would be her vagina, cervix, part of her uterus, etc. At this point, they said it was best to shrink the tissue with radiation and chemo. Other options will come up as needed. We will also work on shrinking the lymph nodes as these are involved as well.
The main things that she wanted us to take away from this meeting were the following:
4) Treatment will be toxic but tolerable
5) Going to be hell
6) Kids are resilient !!!!!!!!!!!!!
7) Stay away from sick people
9) HAND WASH
10) Save money for counseling. Ok, I'm adding that one in.
I will THRIVE off of #3 and not stop FIGHTING UNTIL THIS IS BEAT!!!
Tomorrow, Friday, we will be back at the hospital for a PET scan. This will be done under anesthesia but we will probably be home after.
Monday, meeting with the radiologist at Stanford.
Tuesday, back to hospital for port placement. This will be done under anesthesia as well. The port will be placed under her skin in her chest and they will access it for chemo and blood draws. I'm familiar with these thankfully. We will probably spend the night Tues night.
Wednesday, 1st Chemo treatment. We'll probably be there on Wed night as well.
PLANS FOR THE WEEKEND: GOING TO MONTEREY BAY AQUARIUM AND INVITING YOU GUYS TO GO MEET US THERE!!! At the request of G, we are planning a trip either Saturday or Sunday. More details to come but she wanted to invite her friends and so do we.
Good night my dear friends.